Chris Griffiths wrote:

I'm wondering if there is a solution to this. When I first installed the airport extreme base station it worked perfectly. I could move my laptop around the 54sqm office get the internet etc. Then about 6 weeks ago the airport just dropped out and it would go on sometimes and off others.

I recently had a techo come out and check it and he said all was fine and maybe there was someone in the area that is using a 2.4Ghz phone and that was rendering the airport useless. I get a few hours use at various times of the day but this is pretty much useless to me because I need to transfer files all the time.

Does this mean the airport and the two airport cards that I bought were a waste of money? Or is there something I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Well, yes and no.

My first test would be to see if the problem lies with the hardware itself. The best way to do that is to have the two devices close together (less than a meter) and see what gives.

It is possible, though unlikely that a 2.4Ghz phone would cause all traffic to stop, because the whole point of the way they both work, the phone and your wireless gear is that they shift channels around if there is interference and both you and the phone would interfere with each other.

The next test would be to change channels on all your wireless gear and see if that makes any difference.

Finally, most wireless communications has no need to be running at maximum speed, in my case for example, the satellite link can at most provide 1Mbit, so my wireless gear doesn't have to run any faster than that. Slower wireless connections travel further and are more resistant to interference.

Of course there are going to be some differing opinions on the above advise, but I suppose you have to start somewhere. I should also point out that I'm not a radio technician, and the above is a result of having fiddled for some years, not from any formal research or otherwise.

(In other words, you're on your own and if you break it, you get to keep both parts.)

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S25°34'41" - E152°35'34" (Graham's Creek, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]