On 06/08/2005, at 12:29 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

Hi Rob & people following the advice given to Rod Blitvich Re his School Newsletter,

On 06/08/2005, at 1:52 AM, Rob Davies wrote:

On 05/08/2005, at 3:04 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

On 05/08/2005, at 6:55 AM, Rod Blitvich wrote:

Hi
Not being highly creative or intelligent, I used Apple's Pages software to create the School Newlstter (with the aid of one of the great templates). I exported it to PDF and took it to the printer who said the fonts and resolution etc were all fine but he had to convert it from RGB to CMYK. He showed me how some of the colours, particularly the blues, were out.

He said before I bring him the next Newsletter, I need to convert it to CMYK. I have searched Pages and cannot find any option/ preference/export
feature that enables me to do this.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted please.

ta
Rod

Hi again people,

I've been 'messing around' with a 15 page Newsletter I did in Pages quite some time back. I think I originally just printed the Newsletter and the result was great.

I'm using Tiger OSX10.4.2.
In Pages instead of Export, Choose File > Print, then click on PDF button,
choose 'Save As PDF-X'.

Would this PDF-X file be what a Printer would require?

Yes? In most circumstances and especially if just a black text - grayscale Newsletter. If CMYK I have been informed in most situations the below should work and the final conversion is just a guarantee of a CMYK PDF.

Ok, my 15 page 'Newsletter' in Pages I have been using to Test has Text & Images. Some pages mostly images.

1. The normal File > Print > PDF looked perfect on Computer & printed perfectly using Epson Printer (RGB).

2. The File > Print > click on PDF button 'Save As PDF-X' ... Text looks fine, but some sections of images are 'mottled' (similar to a 'interlaced' Muxed video clip) on the Computer.

Printer processes PDF-X creating a postscript file, this relevant file becomes separations as I spoke of before hence the need for CMYK information also Epson is not interpreting Postscript hence mottled, I think.

To get a proof of image print it to screen through preview. As Apple OS X renders to screen at 72dpi?

3. Doing as Rob suggested - using the normal PDF & "create a PDFX-3 document, from the quartz filters drop down box".
This looks exactly the same as No. 2. 'Save as PDF-X'.

Presumably (without getting a Professional Printer to check), the PDF-X produced straight from Pages Print > 'Save as PDF-X' is the same result as creating PDFX-3 using ColorSync Utility app. No surprise here of course as ColorSync is doing the job from the Pages app.
Apple might have got this right.

Exactly only difference with the extra step is guaranteeing CMYK, although as last post I have noticed profile sets dpi at 72 this could be or not be significant check with printer.

To prove our point we need our original poster 'Rod Blitvich' to try his next School Newsletter in the 'Save As PDF-X' file and check with his Printer.

I would be very interested to know also..

Thanks Ronni,

Cheers!
`Rob...