On 08/08/2005, at 9:20 PM, Shay Telfer wrote:

Hi folks,

I know this must sound a bit paranoid .... but .... well .... you just never know. I have Virex installed but my .Mac membership expired about 3 months ago.
I don't think the updates work any more because of this ??
Is this correct ? I can't see any way of actually checking.

I noticed someone recently recommending ClamXav.
I have downloaded it but have not yet installed it.
Would this be a good replacement for Virex ?
Or (if Virex still woks) a I better off staying with Virex ?

Regards,
Stephen Chape

ClamXAv will not remove viruses (it just detects them), whereas Virex will attempt to do so in most cases.

But it does give the user an option of automatically removing virus into a quarantine folder. So, as to do with as you wish, following means of destruction according to virusDB, but it will no longer be active.

A reason for ClamXav over others besides cost factor, is it's actual virusDB, update procedures, and response time to new outbreaks, check the website. http://www.clamav.net

Do not install on Mac OS X server.

Be careful when setting check .mbox do not set with quarantine folder active.

Documented in ClamXav. http://www.clamxav.com

I do not let it scan .mbox as I have quarantine active; if I suspect an .mbox. I make a copy of said .mbox and drop this into ClamXav. If it finds something I can go and remove suspect file without damaging the .mbox, and have to spend hours repairing .mbox.

Cheers!
`Rob...