Shay Telfer wrote:

ClamXAv will not remove viruses (it just detects them), whereas Virex will attempt to do so in most cases.

It should be pointed out that ClamAV (and the MacOSX and Windows versions) don't remove detected virus occurrences for a reason. Their FAQ states:

   Can ClamAV disinfect files?

   No, it can't. We will add support for disinfecting OLE2 files in one
   of the next stable releases. There are no plans for disinfecting
   other types of files. There are many reasons for it: cleaning
   viruses from files is virtually pointless these days. It is very
   seldom that there is anything useful left after cleaning, and even
   if there is, would you trust it?

So, while you might choose Virex because it removes infestations, you should think about what is happening "underneath the hood".

I do, and Virex quite happily removes *most* Word macro viruses on the Mac, which is good because
* They're pretty much all the viruses that are on the Mac.
* The Word documents are usually what users care about the most.

Do I trust it? As much as I trust ClamAV, even if I can't look at the Virex source.

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper in the