On 7/11/05 12:48 AM, "Rob Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 06/11/2005, at 9:50 PM, Rob Findlay wrote:
>
>> Dowloand YASU http://www.jimmitchelldesigns.com/yasu.html
>> Check everything, run, restart.
>> General slowdown can be caused by a buildup of cache files or log
>> files,
>> this program does a good basic spring clean of these things.
>

> Which if the machine has been left on, as has been hinted at. Apple
> and the GNU originators of programs has various cronjobs doing just
> this in the wee hours of the morning and at 4 in the afternoon.
>
> If you happen to be doing video production or maybe high capacity
> media files I would suggest running Diskwarrior over cache,  capture
> drive or all drives at least once a month of course this depends on
> frequency of media being captured or manipulated.

 Disk Warrior is great if you have it. Always first port of call.

> With 10.4, I would be very careful deleting or cleaning cache files.
> As these are extremely important to smooth operation of various
> systems within Tiger. Which if moved or cleaned will slow system down
> considerably and even cause some weird happenings and malfunctions.

This has not been my experience, I troubleshoot Macs for a living. I read
through the site you suggested and about the worst thing that happens from
cleaning system caches (according to them) is a slow restart the first time
and a reset of the list of trusted applications. My experience is that it is
not generally the system caches which cause the problems anyway. It's the
user caches created by all the apps like Photoshop and iPhoto which generate
100's of tiny cache files. It only takes one of these cache files to get
corrupt and the app associated with it will slow down or quit unexpectedly.
Font Cache files also cause some really weird problems. As is pointed out on
the xlab site, cache cleaning is not maintenance. General automatic
maintenance is carried out by the various scripts which are controlled by
Cron and if your mac is left turned on 24/7 it all gets done at the right
times. Other things like repairing permissions or running disk utility from
the CD (it can be run from the startup disk with 10.4.3) are maintenance.
Cache cleaning is troubleshooting and if your Mac is doing things it
shouldn't be doing or running slow then you need to troubleshoot it.

My personal most used favourite free thing is Applejack which is a script
which you run from single user mode and it sequentially runs fsck, repair
permissions, verify preference files, cache clean and, swap file removal. I
run it after Disk Warrior has done it's thing and this 2 step program fixes
most common problems.

Another simple troubleshooting technique is to create a new user and switch
to that user. If the problem goes away then the problem is definitely within
your home folder somewhere. Probably a preference file, or a log-in item but
it narrows it down big time.

> As Shay has suggested activity monitor to see if something is using
> excess machine or memory.

Also a good plan.
Cheers
Rob