On 08/11/2005, at 8:30 PM, James Devenish wrote:

Hi,

What version of Mac OS X are you using?

Tiger 10.4.3

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 07:55:48PM +0800, Mike MOORE wrote:
PROBLEM 1
I have had problems with the fonts in PDF versions of CAD drawings I
have sent to a PC user.  I am using the save to Postscript file
option and then converting these to PDF through Preview.

I'd suspect this is not a good idea; just print directly to PDF. In Mac
OS X, PDF is the native format and conversion to PS is an extra step.
I think it's only good/necessary if required for a programme such as
Distiller.

The quality is just not there in the Print to PDF option - the colours are washed out and the lines are jaggy.
On both the  Mac and the PC they look fine (the font used is Arial).
Print them  out from the PC however and all of the text comes out as
a very crude  Courier.

What programme is being used to print on the PC? Arial is one of the
"core" fonts, so it can either be supplied by the PDF file, by the
operating system, or by the printer. The programme being used to print
the PDF might be incorrectly sending or not sending the PDF's embedded
version of Arial. There may be an option regarding these core fonts.
Alternatively, Arial is not getting embedded by the PS->PDF process
(so try printing directly to PDF).

Acrobat Reader

PROBLEM 2
The Apple print to PDF won't recognise custom page sizes.

Do you mean that "Page Setup..." (under the "File" menu) doesn't allow
you to select your custom page size? If so, this may be because your
"printer" is telling Mac OS X that the paper size is not supported.
Thus, when you go to print, the PDF is cropped to your printer's
capabilities even though you are creating a PDF file.

Alternatively, the problem may be that the CAD software may have
separate custom page size options that are currently mis-coordinated
with your Page Setup: check the settings in both places.

Same problem exists with the Print to PDF option. The CAD program in question only uses the System printers for page set ups.