In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 10:59:39PM +0800, Mike MOORE wrote:
> On 08/11/2005, at 8:30 PM, James Devenish wrote:
> >What version of Mac OS X are you using?
> Tiger 10.4.3

Thanks.

> >In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >on Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 07:55:48PM +0800, Mike MOORE wrote:
> >>PROBLEM 1
> >>I have had problems with the fonts in PDF versions of CAD drawings I
> >>have sent to a PC user.  I am using the save to Postscript file
> >>option and then converting these to PDF through Preview.
> >I'd suspect this is not a good idea; just print directly to PDF. In
> >Mac OS X, PDF is the native format and conversion to PS is an extra
> >step.
> The quality is just not there in the Print to PDF option - the
> colours are washed out and the lines are jaggy.

That's really bizarre! The Print to PDF option preserves all quality
that the programme offers -- that is why it typically produces "large"
PDFs. In Apple's words: "Save AS PDF creates a digital master PDF file.
All graphics are at full resolution and the file includes each font
character it uses."

I wonder if your difficulties relate to your CAD programme or your
printer capabilities (i.e., your choice of printer in the Print
dialogue). Perhaps you will need Acrobat as a companion to your CAD
programme? Perhaps check the support documentation for your CAD
programme, to see if these are known issues?

> >>On both the  Mac and the PC they look fine (the font used is Arial).
> >>Print them  out from the PC however and all of the text comes out as
> >>a very crude  Courier.
> >What programme is being used to print on the PC?
> Acrobat Reader

Hmm.

> >>PROBLEM 2
> >>The Apple print to PDF won't recognise custom page sizes.
> Same problem exists with the Print to PDF option.  The CAD program in
> question only uses the System printers for page set ups.

What I meant is that I don't have any problem with custom page sizes
unless my printer is set to something like a cheap inkjet -- that limits
the paper size. The only other thing that springs to mind is that I
haven't used "the CAD program in question". I haven't personally had any
custom paper size problems with other apps (only with the choice of
printer). I'm not sure about other people's experiences. Either way,
the Print to PDF option is not normally limited in its page size (other
than the limits of PDF).