Thanks to everyone for the kind offers and helpful advice.
Maybe I should get off my butt and buy scanner.
Is Paul's suggestion ok for basic stuff like scanning photos?
CANON CanoScan LiDE25 FOR $98
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/440b81b006065962273fc0a87f9c069
e/Product/View/XP0476
I notice it says USB (1.1 equivalent).
I will use it with iMac G5 10.4

Ta
Rod Blitvich

--
Rod BLITVICH   Head of Learning Technologies Balcatta Senior High School
Apple Educator of Excellence 2002 - 2003