On 10/03/2006, at 12:07 AM, Kerryn Kotz wrote:
Can anyone tell me why my G3 300mhz unit with 256MB RAM doesn't boot on Mac OS X start up disc or copies on the HD? It just sits with the Apple Logo and spinning disc thing :P

A couple of possible causes;

How large is you HD? Some models of G3s have issues with Mac OS X, where the OS *MUST* be contained within the first 8GB of hard drive space - so the best way to ensure that is to partition the drive so you have a 8GB partition as the FIRST partition (and then the rest of the drive can be as you like) and install Mac OS into that.

But based on you description of not actually booting, you probably need to install some of the Firmware updates. I think you can do this by running Software Update under Mac OS 9 and should tell you which updates you need.
If not, see the following;

If you are trying to install 10.3.2 then checkout this Technote;
and
<http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n25776>

--
Nicholas Pyers, Macintosh User Group Resources

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://www.nicholaspyers.com/usergroups