I had a similar situation with a Mac recently. Even Printer Setup Repair
which is the Rolls Royce of this sort of thing didn't fix it. It turned out
be a whole bunch files in the /Library/Printers/PPD's folder. Things like
Photoshop plugins which someone had inadvertently drag & dropped in there.
So when page setup was invoked the printing system tries get all of the
possible PPD's and trying to read those odd files, just hangs.
It's most likely something in this Library/Printers folder which isn't
supposed to be there.