<SNIP>

> Yes it does create another message, but only the header information
> is sent back to the address. More importunately though this address
> is now removed from the spammers arsenal. Hence, one address removed,
> and eventually ISP's network administrators - engineers would be
> forced to configure servers more thoroughly. Thus forcing them to
> become more astute to what is actually running on their networks also.

Firstly how is your address going to be removed from the "spammers arsenal"
if the sender address was spoofed? Secondly not all SPAM is sent using a
misconfigured email server, I know for a fact that SPAMers also use
stolen/fake credit cards to purchase cheap dialup accounts at ISP's and use
the ISP's email server to SPAM. Without setting recipient limits and/or
limit the number of emails a person can send in one day how exactly do you
expect the ISP engineer to prevent this? By adding these limitations you are
then imposing limits on normal users (sending news letters to their bowling
club for example).

> > IT Security is a good website to read for ways to Eliminate Spam
> > from your Inbox.
>
> One is complaining about resending emails again, actually read this
> paper correctly because it recommends sending more than one and the
> actual cost factor not just monetary but actual time and testing
> would be staggering.

I read that article and I did not read anything about sending emails back,
let alone more than one. It did say at one point to send an email to the
source outlining conditions of them sending you SPAM, however this was in
the context of a legitimate company (read: real source address) sending you
SPAM.

 Use the software as it was originally designed
> to do and it will relieve most of the pain itself. Actually configure
> the config scripts instead of accepting a holistic approach, ban the
> use of HTML email this is the number 1 problem, as spammers not only
> get addresses, but confirmation some one has received relevant email.
> Email is a form of a letter - text.

I agree.

> More importantly people whom setup email servers or email clients
> should stop trying to find simple solutions and correctly setup said
> servers-clients. So as to stop false email addresses being created on
> their networks, then blaming others for doing it. Do something about
> it, augh!... I do not have the time, but obviously have the time to
> be part of the cause.

I am guessing this is part of some deep seeded anger that we are not
priviledged to understand, as I don't recall anyone in this thread blaming
other people for their own server/client misconfiguration.

>   Bounced emails on these servers does no more or less damage than it
> originally created!

Once again I don't see how this is possible. Try bouncing an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and tell me what you think is going to happen?
The email will get to your ISP's email server and sit there for a week until
it decides that the remote email server doesn't actually exist (and not just
temporarily offline). Meanwhile that mail server is going to try every X
minutes to resend that email....hence causing unnecessary load on the
server.