On 10/08/2007, at 12:26 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

Have just started playing with iLife08 components. iPhoto seems straightforward but iMovie is a complete revamp. Annoyingly, importing from iMovieHD brings in only the raw video and you lose all effects, transitions, titles and added sounds, or that is my experience and reading so far. May have to retain iMovieHD for these older projects, unlike earlier upgrades. Has anyone else had a play with it yet? I cannot fault Apple's promptness, I placed my order on Wednesday afternoon and the courier banged on the door down here in Albany at 7.10am this morning!
Severin Crisp

Hi Severin,

Yes, this is mentioned in the iMovie '08 tutorial, under the section "Import Movies from iMovie HD." Specifically, it states that custom transitions will be replaced with cross-dissolves, and that effects, titles, and music will not be included.

Also iDVD 08 will apparently recognise iMovieHD projects, but will change things (like transitions) that aren't supported in iMovie '08.

I have not yet received my iLife'08, so I am only going on what I am reading about iLife'08. Sounds like I will be keeping both iMovieHD & iDVD 06 & combine them with iLife'08. Use iMovie '08 to create a movie, then export it in full quality and bring it into iMovieHD to add Chapter Markers etc.

The idea behind the new iMovie'08 is to be able to quickly create & edit a short movie from scratch and offer optimised support for current generation cameras and computer hardware. The whole program has been rewritten to take full advantage of MacIntel hardware.
Quote:
"The newer your video camera and the newer your Mac, the more you will love iMovie 08."

Ah well, I guess I will just have to reserve my decision on how good iLife'08 until I have had time to 'put it through it's paces'?

Cheers,
Ronni
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz / 3GB / 800MHz / 160GB


-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>