Hi all,

I regularly download my share portfolio details from commsec - which
downloads as a .csv file - which I can then open in excel.

I generally copy this info into my excel workbooks but leave a copy of the
original .csv file in my archive folder - to be sure, to be sure ;)

One thing I have been enjoying with Leopard is that quicklook lets me
inspect .csv files as well as .xls files.

However, I have just noticed a couple of problems/inconsistencies:

I downloaded a .csv as usual but noticed it had a different icon - seemed to
be for a pc application I use in parallels - I had a look around and saw I
had a few .csv files like this.

Get info confirmed that they were set to open with the pc application - so I
changed it to open with excel and did the "open all files like this with
this application" thing.

So now they all (well all I've tried so far) open with excel when double
clicked (as they should) - but the don't have the excel file icon and
quicklook just shows a blank document.

After further looking around, my .csv files seem to fall into 3 categories:

1)
- Get info shows "kind" as "text" and "open with" as "Microsoft Excel"
- Get info icon is an Excel icon

This is the majority of the files and this works as it should in that they
doubleclick open in excel and quicklook (and get info preview) shows a
preview with the text displayed and a large "CSV" watermark at the bottom of
the preview.

2)
- Get info shows "kind" as "Microsoft Excel Document" and "open with" as
"Microsoft Excel"
- Get info icon is a  blank page icon

With these files they doubleclick open in excel but quicklook (and get info
preview) just shows a blank page icon.

3)
- Get info shows "kind" as "Microsoft Excel Document" and "open with" as
"Microsoft Excel"
- Get info icon is the pc application icon

As with the type 2) files they doubleclick open in excel but quicklook (and
get info preview) just shows a blank page icon.

>From the above, it seems to me that though quicklook (and get info preview)
correctly preview excel .xls files and .csv file with "kind" = "text" they
get confused by .csv files with "kind" = "Microsoft Excel Document"

I have been trying to work out why I have they different "flavours" of .csv
files - I'm not sure but all the problem files seem to have been generated
since I got my iMac back from repair and re-installed everything - so I'm
assuming I have something set differently?

Update: after a reboot all the pc application icons have disappeared - ie
the type 3) files are all now type 2)

Update 2: it has just occurred to me that another anomaly I have noticed
recently may be related - somebody sent me some emails with a word documents
attached and when I double-clicked them - they opened in text-edit.

Now previously .doc files always opened in Word so, again, something has
been changed in my settings.

Update 3: I'm not sure that the word thing is related - I think it may be
that I just hadn't had Word open (perhaps since re-installing?) After
opening the word files in word and closing again (without re-saving or
otherwise changing the file) the "Open With" application is now "Microsoft
Word" rather than "Textedit" and the other files which were opening with
textedit are also opening with word (without me manually changing the "open
with" application).

I hope the above makes some sense!

So my current status/problem is:

No problem with the emailed word files.

Downloading a new .csv file gives me a file set to open automatically with
Excel (which is what I want) but with a file "kind" of "Microsoft Excel
Document" rather than "text" - which gives me the problem of no preview in
either quicklook or the get info preview - which is, obviously, not what I
want!

Any ideas on what I need to change/reset here?

TIA

Cheers

Neil
--