My Intel Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro, when unplugged from an AC power supply, will turn off without any warning when the battery runs down to what seems to be a point where the laptop should still be running on battery power.

It's just happened to me again, and upon connecting the MacBook Pro to an AC power supply and restarting, the battery indicator was over 30%.

I've heard of resetting PMUs before, but from what I can gather that seems to apply more to PowerBooks (eg. <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431?viewlocale=en_US >).

This forum <http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=509314> indicates a similar problem to mine, and suggests a dud battery. The machine I have is within the extended 3-year warranty period, though it seems that the extended warranty doesn't apply to batteries.

Any other suggestions before I resign to what is looking like purchase of another battery? In case it makes any difference, my Mac is connected to an AC power supply about 95% of the time.

Cheers, Steven