In case of interest to anyone, the outcome of this problem of mine is that the fourth point on the page which Travis pointed to, ie ...

http://www.apple.com/au/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate

.. also applied. I didn't look closely enough, but the battery had started to expand. What prompted a closer look was the clicking section of my track pad suddenly become hard to click, and generally hard to use. I hadn't noticed any gradual deterioration because I usually have a mouse and external keyboard plugged in. Turns out the swelling of the battery pack was interfering with the ability to click in the track pad.

So, if the clicker on your laptop's trackpad is giving you grief, check the battery.

A new battery's been ordered from Apple at no cost to me, so can't complain.

Cheers, Steven