Hi,

I don't think everyone would be affected by just one issue, there are
probably at least a couple of different problems that affect different
people. For example, Eugene's problem sounds like corrupt preferences
or icons (move the relevant files and folders out of Library•) or an
incomplete software update (try combo installer).

James.

*E.g,. move the following from your home folder to your Desktop one by
one, trying Safari between each move, and see if any makes any
difference. This list might be different for different versions of
Safari (I don't which versions Tom and Eugue are using).

Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist (file)
Library/Caches/Safari (folder)
Library/Safari (folder)