just my 2c
quit mail
go to
hd/~user/library/mail
there you should find:
Envelope Index
move this file to the desktop & start mail
it should now ask for a rebuild (Envelope Index gets recreated)

cheers    James

On 27/03/2009, at 14:44, Ian Reid wrote:

Hi Daniel (& Ronni)

I have run the procedure more than once. Each time, at item 6, I get back all the mailboxes except Inbox and Sent. I note that ~Library/Mail/ Mailboxes contains all but these two. I hope that with all the to-ing and fro- ing I've
done I haven't lost them.

Re Ronni's Number 2 suggestion, opening Mail and choosing Mailbox>Rebuild
currently produces no action.

Re Number 3, by now ~Library/Mail includes Envelope Indexes 1, 2 and 3. If I
chuck them all out, is reimporting a simple matter for me?

Re Number 4, "No", but it wasn't discussed.

Re inherited problems, you must have good records, Ronni. For me , Panther
days is another life.

Thanks everybody for their efforts so far.

Ian