To return to the original questions, my understanding is that nobody
can purchase an iPhone by itself, locked or unlocked, in Australia. I
think you can only buy an iPhone on a contract for phone + data/call
usage. Of course the contracts vary enormously in complexity,
deliberately so, and you need to look at several to determine the best
deal. Unlike in the USA where I think it is only AT&T which has the
initial sale+contract deal, here just about all mobile phone carrier
companies sell the iPhone as part of a contract.
The major carriers are:
<http://www.vodafone.com/index.AU.html>
<http://www.virginmobile.com.au/>
<http://www.optus.com.au/home/index.html>
<http://www.telstra.com.au/>
There many others and I am certain other members of this group will be
able to contribute names and recommendations.
A most important factor is the degree of phone coverage for the
Pilbara by the various carriers. Telstra has the best coverage in
Australia but I do not know of the others coverage. Their web sites
should show.
None of the iPhones you obtain by contract are provided unlocked. You
either have to pay the carrier to unlock the phone or do it yourself
[and there are many helpful folk available to point you in this
direction].
An alternative is to obtain an unlocked iPhone in the USA and bring it
with you. That way you can join a carrier with a pre-paid connection
which is the cheapest phone call system if you do not make many calls.
Doing this with a small up front pre-paid amount would allow you to
get a start and then you could further explore your requirements and
solutions. I followed this route wherein I was given an unlocked
iPhone by my son who bought it in Singapore, I brought it home and I
simply joined a pre-paid connection with Telstra.
Bear in mind that all the companies have specials every so often so
you may be lucky. I think at the moment there are some good deals here
with iPhone + contract because all the carriers know there is a new
model iPhone close to release.
If you do bring an iPhone with you, you will need a plug adapter to
fit the USA plug into our 3 pin electricity wall outlet but one costs
only a few dollars here. Also be aware for your other household
appliances that our electricity is 240v. Sorry if that's telling
grandma how to suck eggs as you're an electrician but I thought it as
well to mention it. I have often been caught out with purchases
overseas.
Sorry if this is a bit long winded. I am sure members of this group
will provide corrections where appropriate.
Cheers
On 29/05/2009, at 3:21 AM, joe mastrella wrote:
Greetings! I will be traveling to Perth and north Western (Pilbara)
for an extended stay. I will need to purchase an iPhone. I would like
to purchase a phone without a contract. Can you help with info about
purchase and plans, locked or unlocked. I will join your group as soon
as find a place to live.
Thanks, Joe Mastrella
Concord, California
............
Peter Sealy
Thurgoona AUSTRALIA
The Apple Religion: Geek Orthodox
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>