Hi Laura,

I like to have both "Character Palette" and "Keyboard Viewer" turned on in
System Preferences > International - Input Menu.

I find "Keyboard Viewer" is useful to see how the different modifier keys
work for character selection and to check key combinations for just typing
things (like your Shift+Option+K =  )

For tracking down obscure symbols though you can't beat "Character Palette"

You also find that there are a lot of different options which limit or
expand the characters shown.

I don't really remember if Tiger was that different to Leopard but my setup
to find the ⌘ was:

Display set to "by Category" (options just below view menu)

Then in left pane open "Symbols" category which displays various Symbols
sub-categories - select "Technical Symbols" and (for me) ⌘ is at the start
of the third line of displayed symbols.

If you had the view menu set to,say, "Roman" rather than "All Characters"
you would find that you had much less options to choose from and "Technical
Symbols" would not be available.

Cheers

Neil
--