Thank-you Ronni, I will try this next time this happens. It may solve the problem but why has it suddenly arisen?

Barry

On 16/06/2009, at 9:23 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:

On 16/06/2009, at 9:15 AM, Barry Sexstone wrote:

I have a WD external hard drive connected to firewire 400 port on my Intel Mac running 10.5.7 The external drive has two partitions - on running time machine and the other is a backup clone.

In the last few days, on waking from sleep in the morning, the computer shows the standard device removal warning "The device you removed was not properly put away etc." and the icons for the external disk are not on the desktop. This is a recent phenomenon and does not seem to happen when the computer sleeps during the day.

Any clues/advice.

Regards

Barry

Hello Barry,

When this happens, with the drive connected and powered open Disk Utility, does the drive show there? If the drive is listed in the left side list then select the volume even if it's greyed out, then click on the Mount icon in the DU toolbar.

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.5.7