Hi Barry,

2009/6/16 Barry Sexstone <bjsexst...@netspace.net.au>:
> In the last few days, on waking from sleep in the morning, the computer
> shows the standard device removal warning "The device you removed was not
> properly put away etc." and the icons for the external disk are not on the

I assume you are referring to a desktop computer, but if you have a
laptop with a "bus-powered" external drive (i.e., one that doesn't
plug into the wall), it is easily explained. If either the laptop or
hard drive, or both, are plugged into wall power for the entire time,
everything will be fine. But if the laptop is asleep and both the
laptop AND the hard drive are UNplugged from the wall at the same time
(or if your house lost mains power at any time during the night), you
would get the "device removal" message when the computer wakes up.

I'm not sure why you would have the problem with a desktop. If you
house experienced power interruptions during the night, I'd expect
your desktop to lose power too. I don't know what kind of WD drive you
have, but make sure it's plugged into the wall if it needs to be. I
can only image that if it came unplugged, it might draw its power
through FireWire when the computer is awake, but not when the computer
is asleep. If the drive has a light, does the light normally stay on
when the computer is asleep, or does it go off?

James