Hi Ronni

Yeh Firewire is always the way to go I find, if possible. Just works so much
better, and generally is a lot more reliable as well.
When I get an eSATA drive, I might try it just for interest sake anyway :)
Beside's aren't that what ToDo lists are for? You always add things to them,
they just never ever get finished.
Even if you throw a to do list away I'm sure a new one just starts the new
day ;o) hehe.

Kind Regards
Daniel

On 13/7/09 4:28 PM, "Ronda Brown" <ro...@wn.com.au> wrote:

> [...]
> At present I'm not interested in backing up to eSATA, Firewire 800 is
> fine by me.
> By the time I am, Apple will have eSATA ports ....... :0)
>
> Please DON'T add this to the "todo" list.
>
> Cheers,
> Ronni
>
> On 13/07/2009, at 4:06 PM, Daniel Kerr wrote:
>

>> Hi Ronni
>>
>> Not 100% sure on the bootable thing, but I'd imagine so, as the card
>> doesn't
>> get instructions/power to it until the laptop is running (from
>> memory). So
>> therefore it's not seen as a device until the system loads and does
>> it's
>> thing. Unlike Firewire which is independent. Well that's what I
>> think from
>> my limited technical side anyway,.. ;) hehe
>> I've never actually run an ExpressCard eSATA. Used a Firewire
>> ExpressCard.
>> Got one here for eSATA though, will have to try it some stage and
>> see :o)
>> And same for the WLAN. Haven't come across that either on my
>> travels, but
>> can test it and see :o)
>>
>> Will add it to the 'todo' list and let you know what I find out.
>> Hmm, guess
>> that means I have to find a drive with eSATA as well then,..lol.
>>
>> Kind Regards
>> Daniel
>>
>> PS You're welcome Cloe :)
>> PPS Arr sleep. I vaguely remember that... :o)
>>

>> On 13/7/09 2:00 PM, "Ronda Brown" <ro...@wn.com.au> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> Is it correct that the Express Card Slot is NOT seen as a bootable
>>> port?
>>>
>>>  "The main reason you can't boot from eSATA is because you basically
>>> can't boot from a device attached through the express slot.
>>> This would be the case with a firewire or USB drive connected through
>>> the express slot as well.
>>> It's basically not seen as a bootable port."
>>>
>>> Is it also correct that when you remove the ExpressCard that you
>>> loose
>>> your WLAN connection?
>>>
>>>  " Using a JMicron JMB360 chipset based eSATA ExpressCard (Digitus
>>> DS-31101) running on a mid-2007 Macbook Pro and OSX 10.5.6.
>>> or a Griffin Expresscard/34 eSATA (Silicon Image Sil3132 SATA Link).
>>>
>>> Inserting, accessing and using an external esata drive works fine.
>>>
>>> Problems begin when you remove the ExpressCard after usage - shortly
>>> after removing the WLAN connection drops and can't be restored."
>>>
>>> But - there does appear to be a workaround, before you remove the
>>> Expresscard, turn the wireless off.
>>> Then remove the Expresscard. Then turn the wireless back on.
>>>
>>> Many thanks.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ronni
>>> PS Cloe says "Thank you Daniel for the Birthday wishes"
>>> PPS Cloe is now sleeping off her Birthday picnic in the park.

---