From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On Behalf Of
Ronda Brown
Sent: Wednesday, 11 November 2009 12:31 PM
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: 10.6.2

Hi Hugh,

> it is saying 57 mins remaining on repair permissions for main HD,

If "Repair Permissions" is going to take 57 mins in OS X 10.6.2 as you say
above ... I don't think you have repaired permissions for a long time ;-)
I was surprised how much faster "Repair Permissions" was on my computers after
the OS X 10.6.2 update installed. Only took a few minutes 3-5 mins.

If after repairing permissions your computer is still not recognising the FW
Drives, you could try this:

When you did your "simple diagnostics", did you following these steps?
Especially 1 & 3?

1.      Shut down the computer.
2.      Disconnect all FireWire devices and all other cables, except the
keyboard and mouse cable(s).
3.      Disconnect the computer from the power outlet and wait for 3 to 5
minutes.
4.      Plug the computer back in and turn it on.
5.      Reconnect the FireWire device(s) (one at a time if there is more than
one) and test.
        Test with each FireWire port if you have more than one.

Sometimes that is enough to get the Firewire Ports working again.

On 11/11/2009, at 9:15 AM, Hugh Griffiths wrote:

> Very wierd, started to do simple diagnostics, ie unplug everything reboot,
> plug in one at a time and see what comes up, after second reboot my Maxtor 1T
> ( time machine disk) is showing up fine on 800 FW, but my mybook 500 ( movies
> and itunes) only works on FW400. I cannot repair permissions on either disk
> as it says " not available as disk set to ignore ownership", but I have run
> repair permissions on main HD and "repair" disk on both externals, it is
> saying 57 mins remaining on repair permissions for main HD, so I must away to
> my day job, will reply later with what I find.
>

> Best Regards
> Hugh Griffiths
>
> mobile +61 407 477 311
> office +61 (0) 8 6424 4801
> Any commercial terms stated or implied are subject to final approval and
> negotiations. Not an offer or acceptance.
> All correspondence directly pertaining to the act of doing business will
> continue to be transmitted for your information as allowed under the SPAM Act
> 2003. This includes but is not limited to quotes, order confirmation, and
> shipment advices.

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and
privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review,
use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are
not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all
copies of this message.