Thank you Barry, Ronni and Alexander for your suggestions,

I've finally got the problem licked. I was unable to see anything amiss with Disk Inventory X or OmniDiskSweeper, the Activity monitor was almost asleep, there were no error messages (that made any sense to me) and I didn't want to get familiar with Terminal.

I piked, and rang apple Tech support (AppleCare really pays off). There was a ~158GB file of 55295 files of 2.7MB generated by the latest version of McAfee - invisible in the Quarantine folder except when booted as a Super user. It took about 4 hours to move these to the trash and a further 3 to empty the trash. Tech support (by this time around 10pm EAST), I was talking to a specialist in Cork - seems Apple is so busy. The suspect may be Parallels 5 and an interaction with McAfee. I'm sending a screen dump to Pica for Kelly to forward to the US. The portion of the log saved show 44 files generated at the same time but all with different names.

Again thank you all for your help,

Best wishes,

James





Hi James,

You can get the total amount of disk used by folder using Terminal :

polaris:~ alex$ du -sh *
2.6G    Downloads
...
polaris:~ alex$ cd Downloads/
polaris:Downloads alex$ du -sh *
548K    About Downloads.pdf
2.5G    iphone_sdk_3.1.2_with_xcode_3.2.1__snow_leopard__10m2003.dmg
...
polaris:Downloads alex$

As you can see my downloads folder holds 2.6GB out of which 2.5GB are made up of the iPhone SDK.

Maybe a little technical using Terminal commands, but at least you don't have to install any new software.

Have fun
Alex


On 12 Dec 2009, at 10:26, James I Fraser wrote:


Please would anyone have any idea how 155GB of free space on a 500GB drive fill up in 5 hours with no user activity? The laptop - a MacBook Pro, late 2007, 4GB Ram running 10.6.2 was wirelessly connected to the internet and McAfee ran finding 431 malwares, but on the backup drive! To email I've moved 81GB of pictures to free up drive space.

Best wishes,

James


-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <<http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <<http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Unsubscribe - <<mailto:[email protected]>mailto:[email protected]>






-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>


-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>