Hi Kim,

I created my own ringtone (The Collingwood Theme Song) ... OK, don't give me a 
hard time ;-)
I used  iTunes. You can use iTunes 8 or 9. I hope I have remembered all the 
steps I did.

1. Select the song you want to use as a ringtone in iTunes.
3. Right click on the song
 Select “Get Info”
4. Click  the “Options” tab
5. Check both the “Start Time” and “End Time” boxes 
Start Time 0:22
Stop Time 1.10
 6. Specify what time interval you’d like to use as your ringtone clip (Make 
sure your ringtone is 40 seconds or less!!)
7. Click “OK”
Make sure the song you want is still highlighted
8. Click on “Advanced” in your menu bar
9. Select “Create AAC Version” or “Create Apple Lossless Version” (Make sure 
your iTunes “Import Settings” are set to “AAC” or “Apple Lossless” and not 
“MP3″) 
10.  A duplicate copy of your song will appear in iTunes - this new song will 
have the same filename but shorter “Time”
Go back to the original song and uncheck those “Start Time” and “End Time” 
boxes 
11. Drag the duplicate song to your Desktop
12. Once the duplicate song is copied to your Desktop, delete the duplicate 
file in iTunes
13.     On your Desktop, rename the file with the “.m4r” file extension - Use 
the new extension
This turns your song file into an iPhone ringtone file 
14.     Your “songname.m4a” file should now be named “songname.m4r”
15. Drag the newly renamed .m4r (songname.m4r) file back into iTunes
16.  Drag the file over the “Library” column and release when “Library” becomes 
highlighted
17. You have to delete the duplicate song file (Step 12) otherwise iTunes won’t 
import your new .m4r file
18. You should see your new ringtone under “Ringtones” in iTunes
19. Sync your iPhone to ge  your new iPhone ringtones!

Enjoy your new Ringtone.

Cheers,
Ronni

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)



  


On 28/12/2009, at 5:17 PM, Kim Maher wrote:

> Hi All
> 
> Has anyone found an easy way to convert a song into a ringtone?  I have used 
> "GarageBand", but I have not had a lot of success.  I have had "4Media iPhone 
> Ringtone Maker” recommended, has anyone used this program? 
> 
> 
>  Your Apple Bore
> 
> Kim 
> 
> iMac 24”
> Intel Core 2 Duo
> MacBook Pro
> Intel Core 2 Duo
> iPhone 3GS 32GB
> iPhone 3G 16GB
> iTouch 16GB
> OS X Snow Leopard
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>