Hi All --

-- Another couple of points about gmail.

(1) From gmail, you can send messages as if from your other email addresses
(this message is sent from gmail, though it appears as if from <
[email protected]>, one of my  'aoi' domain email addresses). My domain is
currently hosted by iinet, and redirection is built into iinet domain
addresses, so I don't actually use the gmail redirection facility mentioned
earlier. I also have some personal addresses [email protected], I don't
really use these for any routine purpose. As Graeme Winters points out, your
(free) gmail facility is not linked to any particular ISP, so if I change
hosting that won't affect my emails.

(2) The gmail spam handling routines are very good, typically gmail
automatically puts around 500 messages in my spam folder each month
(clearing automatically after 30 days). The only 'real' messages I have ever
found in Spam (2-3 per year) are from form messages from my websites, these
all appear as From the iinet form message processing facility, rather than
from the original sender, so are hard to distinguish.

Cheers --

David Noel
2009 Dec 31

==========

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM, David Noel <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Brett --
>
> -- I've been meaning to put in a message about all the virtues of using
> gmail. I haven't put the necessary thought into this as yet, but here is an
> instance where it could be good for you.
>
> -- When you have set up a gmail account, you can ask it to check your other
> email accounts (obviously you have to tell it your passwords for these) and
> to forward on these messages to your gmail account. If you want, it will
> then delete these messages from the other account.
>
> -- Most of the other advantages of gmail are the extensive free space
> available (currently 7.4 Gb for each user), which with message labelling and
> whole-of-area search means you never have to worry about email backups or
> deletes again. You can send messages to yourself with data files attached,
> as aquick backup of your current working file, scan of your passport, etc,
> these are then permanently available anywhere in the world. HTH.
>
> Cheers --
>
> David Noel
> 2009 Dec 30
>
> ============
>
>
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Brett Carboni 
> <[email protected]>wrote:
>
>>
>> Hi all, I'm thinking of changing from Bigpond to TPG but my "
>> bigpond.net.au" email address is over 10 years old and I don't want to
>> lose contacts.
>>
>> I am trying to get a nominal account which will let me keep this active.
>>
>> Does anyone know of an emailing program which will let you address an
>> email to everyone in your Mail.app database so you can do a bulk mail out
>> saying you have changed your email address?
>>
>> T.I.A.
>>
>> Brett
>> Tsunami
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
>>
>>
>


-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>