Hi Neil
Many thanks for this information.
I also found another site which was very helpful about domains etc. 
http://www.igoldrush.com
Regards
Peter
On 19/01/2010, at 12:19 PM, Neil Houghton wrote:


> 
> Hi Peter,
> 
> I recently purchased a .org.au domain from Netregistry
> <http://www.netregistry.com.au/>
> It all went very well and everything seems to work as it should.
> 
> They had a special at the time - so it cost me all of $8.25 for two years
> registration - though come renewal time it will be back to their normal rate
> (currently $13.75 for 2 years).
> 
> I notice that, at present, they still seem to have their specials on - it
> presents itself as a special, Web only 40% discount for the next 2 hours -
> with a timer counting down the 2 hours.
> 
> Note that the $8.25 was only for .org.au domains - other .au domains are
> more expensive but the 40% of applies across them all.
> 
> Also, I seem to remember when I purchased this that I was looking at various
> other options and the 2 hour special expired - however I had no real problem
> making a fresh start and triggering a new "2 hour window" - I can't remember
> whether I just used another browser (Safari instead of Firefox) or whether I
> stayed in Firefox and just cleared the cache and any Netregistry cookies.
> 
> Also note that there is no requirement to stay with the same registrar - if
> down the track you find a registrar who you prefer for whatever reason
> (price etc) you can transfer your domain registration from one registrar to
> another (just don't let it expire!) - however I believe some registrars make
> this easier than others - that is one thing that impressed me about
> Netregistry - they seem to give you all the tools to do all this up front
> (with some set-ups you might have to "request" to make the transfer) which
> lead me to suspect/hope that they rely on you staying with them because of
> their service - time will tell.
> 
> Note also that there are various restrictions on .au categories such as
> .org.au and .com.au (whereas these restrictions are not applied to general
> .com or .org domain names).
> 
> If you are going for a non-Australian (eg .com) domain rather than a .au
> domain then you have a much larger choice of registrars and prices - but I
> have no particular recommendations - the Whirlpool forums might be a good
> place to start, eg:
> 
> <http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=160491>
> 
> WARNING - 15 pages of personal opinions;)
> 
> 
> HTH
> 
> 
> Cheers
> 
> 
> Neil
> -- 
> Neil R. Houghton
> Albany, Western Australia
> Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
> Email: [email protected]
> 
> 
> on 18/1/10 10:24 PM, Peter Curtis at [email protected] wrote:
> 
>> 
>> Hi all
>> Having given this due consideration I intend to proceed down this route, can
>> you recommend a good domain registrar (in Australia?) Questions arise as to
>> how to know if a registrar is reliable or not?. Also and/or point me in the
>> direction of some further information for a basic computer user on this
>> subject? 
>> Thanks
>> Peter
>> On 31/12/2009, at 11:12 AM, Glenn Nicholas wrote:
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
> 



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>