Thanks John

The issue with this drive is strange
When I open Time Machine , the time and date of the last back up is shown but 
at the NEXT backup line the words shown are               When the drive is 
connected
If I switch the drive off at the unit and then on again and enter a password 
and the drive comes to life and starts backing up

I am missing the automatic feature of the TM

Graeme
On 23/02/2010, at 9:38 PM, John Winters wrote:

> Graeme,
> 
> It sounds like there is a major problem with your drive.
> 
> I would try reformatting the drive, then setting up Time Machine to use the 
> drive again. If you keep getting errors like Disk Repair is advising you, it 
> would be risky to rely on this as a back up disk! How long was the warranty?
> 
> Regards,
> John
> __________________
> John Winters
> Phone +61 8 9244 4564
> Fax      +61 8 9446 7709
> blocked::[email protected]
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> From: Graeme Winters <[email protected]>
> Reply-To: User Group Mac User Group Mac WA <[email protected]>
> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:38:45 +0800
> To: User Group Mac User Group Mac WA <[email protected]>
> Subject: Time Machine
> 
> 
> 
> Trouble with Time Machine
>  
> In December 2009 I purchased my IMac 27” 3.06Ghz/4GB/1TB/HD
> With this I purchased a WD My Book Mac Edition 1TB
> All was assembled and ran fine until last week when a message bar appeared 
> telling me that Back up could not be completed
>  
> I have tried to date
> Disk Repair and received the following messages
> Invalid node structure
> Invalid record count
> Missing thread record
> Bad parent directory
> Missing directory record
> Incorrect flag for directory
>  
> The Volume could not be opened after 3 attempts
> Error Disk Utility cannot repair this disk
> Verify stopped
> My book corrupt
> Tried repair again
>  
> I have disconnected the WD several times and started again doing a back up
> Each time when I go to Time Machine at the options window the message is 
> Next Backup when disk connected
> At Select Disk no disk is shown
>  This was the case again at 3.00pm today
> However when I switched the WD off and on again the back up appeared and 
> acknowledged that the next backup would occur shortly
> 
> Surely I should not have to manually activate the backup
> What have I missed?
> 
> 
> As an aside does Time Machine when working also back up my Windows work as 
> well ie MYOB files
> 
> Graeme Winters
>  
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>