Hi people, a friend sent me this recently. My understanding is Apple aren't 
that interested in things like this but I figured if anyone knew of a way to 
help it would be here.
Feel free to email him direct if you have any thoughts.

> To Rob Findlay, Team Digital, Perth
> From Peter Strain, Photographer [email protected]
> 
> Dear Rob
>                You are the only person I know in the Apple echelons, so I 
> seek some direction from you.
>                I am setting off on a 3 month photographic expedition within 4 
> weeks and my old Toshiba Tecra is a risk because of its age and also it 
> doesn't handle HD vision.
> 
> So I have to try and upgrade.
> 
> I have a good measure of sponsorship and support for the expedition
> - Tropical Marine Services are providing a 70 foot expedition vessel and 
> skipper for frre
> - West Australian Marine Science Institute are putting in $23000 to be able 
> to put three scientists with us for  20 days
> - Linney's Pearls are providing $20,000 for a film maker from Geo New Media 
> to come on board with the scientists and make a doco about my work and the 
> interaction with the scientists.
> - Am still hanging out for two other sponsors to approve support with 
> upgrades to some Canon SLR equipment and lenses
> 
> But I can't get money for computer upgrade. And my personal resources are 
> stretched to the limit.
> 
> I want to go to Final cut pro because of its ability to handle the HD formats 
> I will be using with video from the new Canon SLR bodies and from the 
> underwater cameras..  I will be using the Canons as HD 1080p movie cameras as 
> well as for stills. The focus is on the stills work, but I will shoot HD 
> video as well (because I can).  The Geo New Media crew will bring their own 
> HD gear on board, but I will supply them with the 'blue chip' close-up macro 
> work, time lapses and general coastal image of when they are not aboard.
> 
> Two things
> - what is the minimum hardware and software I can get away with at the moment 
> on Apple? I won't be editing long form in the field, but will need to edit 
> some short pieces and be able to create 'hold take' reels.
> - if I can beg, borrow or steal a MAc from somewhere for the three months - 
> at least I will have ingested to hard drives with material that I can work 
> with on Final Cut Pro when I can afford a machine after the expedition.
> - Do you know of any program or route that Apple could lend a machine as 
> sponsorship?
> 
> I have become quite 'sponsorable' for my stills photography over the last 
> couple of years. Australian Geographic has been good to me with three runs 
> now, including the last one that I got to write as well as photograph.  They 
> just told me that my work is to be included in a coffee table glossy book 
> they are putting out to celebrate 25 years of great Australian photography. 
> Also Photo Review Australia ran a five page feature on my work at the 
> beginning of the year. It's that article that brought about the offer of the 
> expedition vessel from Tropical Marine Services.
> 
> The vessel already has Apple gear on the bridge. Given that someone else is 
> making a doco about me - we could ensure good product placement. I am a well 
> qualified broadcast producer and editor and would do Apple proud if I could 
> access some gear for the project period.
> 
> There is a website "Fine Art Photography from remote shores" that I have set 
> up to present the project as it evolves. It is a groundbreaking project that 
> is already getting a lot of attention. It will get good coverage. I will have 
> some idea of the Australian Geographic  articles over the next 12 months 
> generated from this.  The current issue is 'just being put to bed' and then 
> The photo editor and story editor will work through my suggestions.  So I 
> should be in a good position to pitch to an appropriate person for IT support 
> at the end of the week.
> 
> There will be a series of exhibitions of the collection after the expedition. 
> I can create video interstitials of Apple media working in the field.
> 
> This will undoubtedly be the most interesting and extensive display of 
> photographs and media materials of Australia's remote Kimberley coast 
> available at completion. An announcement of Heritage Listing for the 
> Kimberley coast is due very soon.
> 
> If you have any thoughts on my equipment needs - ie suggestions; or know of 
> any process or contacts to approach Apple for some support - it would be 
> greatly appreciated.
> 
> Hope you are well.
> 
> Kind regards


-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>