To give you an idea of cost... less than 3 mins in the UK whilst
roaming cost $25 (run as a test for work). Best bet is either, as
others have suggested, get a local SIM in the country you are
traveling to or talk to your mobile provider before you go to see what
other options there might be.

Cheers

Duncan