Hi, I migrated from a PPC to intel. Initially I had problems from setting up a 
different account (Operator error) - so undid it all, reinstalled osx and it 
migrated like a dream
Best regards



Justin Davies
[email protected]
www.justindavies.com.au   
0414 567 638
9309 9309

Linked In: www.linkedin.com/in/justinkdavies
Business website: www.emergination.com.au
Twitter: www.twitter.com/justinkdavies



On 26 Jul 2010, at 11:19 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:

> 
> Hi Stuart,
> 
> On 25/07/2010, at 8:16 PM, Stuart Breden wrote:
> 
>> 
>> Having said that Peter, Rhonda will testify to issues with migrating data 
>> from one Mac to another.
> 
> No, this is not correct. I've never experienced any problems using Firewire 
> Target Disk Mode & Migration Assistant to Transfer data from one Mac to 
> another.
> 
> When you do the migration, you should do it as soon as you first boot up the 
> new Mac and it offers you the options. 
> Don’t create a user account and then do the migration, since if both accounts 
> have the same name you will run into problems. 
> If you migrate your account off the old Mac (or clone) it will transfer 
> seamlessly to the new Mac, together with Preferences and most of the 
> registrations.
> 
> I’ve done this with Intel Macs as the destination & PPC Macs as the source. 
> The process has always worked perfectly. 
> A few people have hinted that PPC to Intel migrations may somehow be 
> problematic but I have not seen anything credible about any specific problems 
> that can be directly attributed to using Setup Assistant / Migration 
> Assistant for this. 
> The only precaution I always suggest is to make sure the older Mac is working 
> properly (no issues/problems) & to run Disk Utility’s “Repair Disk” on its 
> drive before starting the migration. (Note that this will require starting it 
> up from an installer disc or other bootable disk with Disk Utility on it.) 
> 
> Also, take the time to organise the old Mac's files & folders & uninstall 
> obsolete applications, delete old documents that are no longer required, 
> update applications , etc. 
> In other words … Prepare to upgrade from to an Intel Machine and Snow Leopard 
> beforehand.
> 
> What I believe you are referring to above, is my comments to you after you 
> posted this to WAMUG:
> Quote:
>> "I’ve migrated the information from my old G5 iMac to a new Intel
>> 21.5-inch: 3.06GHz 500GB hard drive iMac.
>> 
>> Not every thing migrated."
> End Quote:
> 
> So I pointed you to these comments made by 'Kappy'
> <http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1872713>
> 
> But I have never found using Firewire Target Disk Mode & Migration Assistant 
> on booting up a new machine not to transfer everything I select across to the 
> new machine.
> 
>> When I got my latest Intel iMac fro work, I let the Apple show do it using 
>> the the function when you turn on a new iMac for the first when it ask if 
>> you want to import data from another Mac.
>> 
>> I imported a few problems and am still trying to sort them out.
> 
> If there are any problems on the old Mac they will transfer across to the new 
> Mac.
> 
>> 
>> I'm about to upgrade from my home PowerPC G5 to an Intel iMac.  Will have a 
>> good look at Rhonda's suggestion on her web site.
> 
> The Tutorial I have on my web site is explaining and showing 'How To Transfer 
> Your Data From Your Old Mac To A New Mac' using Migration Assistant & 
> Firewire Target Disk Mode.  Mac OS X comes with a built-in Application for 
> Data Migration called MIGRATION ASSISTANT. This incredible application can 
> painlessly transfer files from one MacIntosh to another.
> 
> Cheers,
> Ronni
> 
> 17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
> 2.66GHz / 4GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm
> 
> OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
> Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
> 



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>