Laura,

I used to have a lot of similar problems that in the end came down to a
combination of things all on my phone line input side.

- Make sure the telephone cable from the router to the socket has proper
connections that are all clicked into place, and not knocked out of place or
become loose.
- Make sure any double adaptors or splitters you have on your phone line input
to the router are meant for each other. i.e. not using 8 pin female connectors
with an adaptor for 4 pin.
-  Try not to use long extension leads of phone cable, in particular the flat
phone cable that is poorly shielded from Martian rays, nuclear attack and other
electromagnetic nasties. iinet advise some quite short distance - a metre or so
from recollection - from the phone socket to the router.
- Some inline filters are better than others. I recall buying the better
splitters from Dick Smith. These are the splitters/filters that separate the
phone line from the ADSL input line.

I hope that adds something helpful into the mix

Tim