Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried Device Manager and the Ethernet Controller and Network Controller both had a yellow question mark alongside. So I put the Windows XP CD in and used the Hardware Wizard to update the driver but I got the message that it "Could not find the necessary software".

In the Network Connections panel there are two connections showing:
1. One says Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPoE). When I click on it I get a message that Error 769 : The specified destination is not reachable. If I double click the get the LAN Connection Status>Support there is no IP address listed. 2. The second connection shows LAN or High Speed Internet 1394 connection.

On my stand alone PC this panel shows Local Area Connection Connected, VIA PCI 10/100Mb fast Ethernet.

Any clues as to what needs tweaking?