Hi,

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the troubles people have been experiencing - perhaps all ISPs are performing modem firmware upgrades.

I got this from Optus this morning ..

"Optus is introducing the capability to upgrade the firmware in your DSL Direct modem remotely.

What is firmware?

Optus is introducing the capability to upgrade the firmware in your DSL Direct modem remotely.

What is firmware?

Firmware is the programme that makes your modem function and communicate between the Optus network and your computer. Modem manufacturers only release updated firmware as improvements and changes are needed. Updates are intended to improve the way modems communicate with our network, so it's key that you are using the most up to date firmware to maximise your modem's performance on our network.

This capability will allow Optus to improve the stability, security and performance of your modem by installing the latest firmware from your modem manufacturer directly to your modem.

The most common scenario where firmware would be upgraded is to address newly discovered security flaws or defects.

When Optus performs a remote upgrade you probably won't be aware of it. Your service will be interrupted for a few minutes, however we'll schedule upgrades at a time to minimise impact to your use of the Optus Broadband service.

If your modem uses the settings specified and recommended by Optus these will be restored after any upgrade. If you have custom settings in your modem these may be overwritten and you will need to restore them yourself.

Optus strongly recommends you take advantage of this great new capability. To participate you don't have to do anything. However, if you don't wish to participate in remote firmware updates you can opt- out here.

If you do choose to opt out Optus technical support will of course continue to offer the same customer focused support of your service and modem.

Regards,

The Optus team

Cheers

Brian