Whoopzie - Capsule...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2129872&tstart=0

Jim

On 20 October 2010 11:42, "F.W. Hänel" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> Jim,
>
> Are you talking about time machine or TIME CAPSULE ???
>
> Cheers,
>
> Walter
> On 20/10/2010, at 10:46 , Jim D wrote:
>
> > When I bought my Mac, I perused the Mac website about TM, shock and
> horror!  The comments on the Time machine, by the hundred condemned it
> without reservation.  It would appear to have a most dodgy power supply,
> that when it dies (18-24 months) also fries the bloody disk.
> >
> > Needless to say, I got the WD book thingy solution.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > On 19 October 2010 12:44, Steven Knowles <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm about to watch time fly and throw TC out the nearest window.
> >
> > I got over all of my previously whinged about error messages by one of
> two solutions, I don't know which one ultimately provided the fix, but
> erased data entirely, and disconnected all users (Airport Utility > Manual
> Setup > Disks > Disconnect All Users). The backed up everything from
> scratch, the major downside being loss of all historical backups.
> >
> > The backups from scratch seemed to work. However now,  not every time but
> intermittently, I get ...
> >
> > "Time Machine could not complete the backup.
> >
> > This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires
> 169.72GB but only 122.2MB are available.
> >
> > Time machine needs work space ... blah blah blah"
> >
> > TM waits for me to click OK. Then, if I 'Backup now' TM proceeds with a
> backup in the usual manner, and keeps going until next time I get the
> 'backup too large' message.
> >
> >
> > According to the TM Preferences window, there is about 500GB of available
> space, which is about right after taking into account the two Macs I've
> backed up.
> >
> > I've been putting up with the inaccurate 'backup too large' message,
> however just now I had a need to go into TM and recover a previous version
> of a file I've stuffed up. Disappointingly, I find that TM hasn't been
> retaining old backup data. I have 'Now' backup, and that's it. No historical
> backups to wade through. I assume this has something to do with the 'backup
> too large' problem.
> >
> >
> > The problem I'm having is with my MBP. I've checked TM on the other
> machine, an iMac, backing up to this TC. No problem. Retention of historical
> backups appear to be taking place for the iMac. All machines running latest
> OSX.
> >
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> >
> > Cheers, Steven
> >
> >
> >
> > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> > Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> > Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> > Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Jim Duffield
> > 0405583977
> > Skype:  oldozsapper
> >
> > "Wolf, Wellington, Shaka [Zulu], Lawrence, Monash...not only displayed a
> general absence of authoritarian traits but also showed a lively regard for
> the prime responsibility of the commander: conservation of his force and
> concern for the psychological and physical welfare of his troops."
> > Prof Norman Dixon, RE, MBE - 'On the Psychology of Military
> Incompetence', p. 275
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
>
>


-- 
Jim Duffield
0405583977
Skype:  oldozsapper
*
**"Wolf, Wellington, Shaka [Zulu], Lawrence, Monash...not only displayed a
general absence of authoritarian traits but also showed a lively regard for
the prime responsibility of the commander: conservation of his force and
concern for the psychological and physical welfare of his troops."
Prof Norman Dixon, RE, MBE - 'On the Psychology of Military Incompetence',
p. 275
*



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>