Hi, I'm not an expert here, but the last time my (inkjet) printer started
playing up, I got a Canon MP140 Pixma from Officeworks for about $50. It was
one of their cheapest, and may have been a promotion. It's behaved very well
really, the scanning software is pretty intuitive and flexible, there is an
Omnipage facility for character recognition.

I do remember a WAMUG member who said when his inkjet printer run out of
ink, he just went and bought another machine, at $50 a pop you can do this!
Every time I have got a new printer, the accompanying software has been a
step up. So that is a possible strategy for you, go and get the cheapest
Canon which does what you want, and if it plays up, get a new one!

Cheers --

David Noel
2010 Oct 21

=====