Hi Steven

Yeh, I think you're right on the most offensive! (And glad you didn't take
it as a dig. It's always sometimes hard to get gestures across on email, so
I  always try make sure things don't get taken the wrong way) :o)) (smiley
faces are always a good safe bet)

Makes you wonder who's making the money on the cartridges though, as I can
definitely say as a cartridge supplier, there really is not that much margin
in them! I suppose by the time everyone add's their little "cut", it all
adds up.
But yes, I'd much rather pay a bit more for my printer (knowing that it
lasts longer) and pay less for the cartridges.

Glad you like the Epson range. I've always been happy with them. Hence why I
have no problems ever recommending them.
But yes, thy don't do an A3 unfortunately. They used to also do laser
printers and they got out of that too. (Which is a shame as my Epson Colour
C1100N has just chugged away for years! And barely eats toners at all!) I
love it. I dread the day something goes wrong with it,....touch wood.
Brother do a nice A3 colour multifunction printer though. That may be worth
a look too ;)
Just to add more to the pile,..lol ;)

Kind Regards
Daniel


On 21/10/10 8:58 PM, "Steven Knowles" <[email protected]> wrote:

> 
> I don't disagree with you Daniel, and I definitely don't take it as a dig.
> Printers and printer consumables must be right up there in terms of the
> world's offensive on the environment.
> 
> Hey, maybe we can lobby the government ... legislate for no more home
> printers! Publicly accessible printers only, wireless connectivity makes it
> possible. Collect your hardcopy from any nearby printer after putting in your
> PIN code. System charges your Paypal, periodically, based on usage. Printers
> can be housed in weather-proof cubicles, onboard web cams dissuading passing
> hoons from putting the boot in ... might be a good use for all those public
> telephone boxes which don't get used anymore (do they even exist? Can't say I
> know where a public telephone is anymore). I'd post my letter to Ms Gillard
> right now, except I don't have my printer yet.
> 
> I did find some time to take a peek at the Epson products online by the way.
> They look good, but couldn't see any multifunctions with anything bigger than
> an A4 flatbed, which has evolved into a must-have for me. Marlene, only good
> reports about Epson if A4 flatbeds are good for you.
> 
> Steven
> 
> On 21/10/2010, at 10:14 PM, Daniel Kerr wrote:
> 
>> 
>> Hi Steven
>> 
>> Without starting a flame war, and please realise I'm not making a dig at
>> you, or anyone else for that matter,...
>> But this first thing always bothers me with these printers.
>> The amount of "good waste" that we all go through with new printers that are
>> still good, but it's cheaper to buy a whole printer then cartridges. What it
>> must be doing to our landfill and environment.
>> It's unfortunate. And although we can't really lay blame. As consumer's
>> we're always look for something cheaper, and so the manufacturer make
>> something cheaper (then get us on the cartridges). It's the chicken and egg
>> situation. Do we blame them for making cheaper printer, or do they blame us
>> for asking for "cheap".
>> I do remember not that long ago when I worked for RandomAccess (ok, yes that
>> would be nearly 10 years,..omg that long!) when printers were in factor
>> dearer and cartridges were cheaper. That didn't take long to change.
>> And we see it happen with a lot of things these days.
>> Quality used to be better and last longer. Now nearly everything is a throw
>> away society.
>> But I digress....
>> I try and keep my printers as long as possible and get the most out of them.
>> Or pass them off to family or friends that don't have a printer (or when
>> dies). I look at it that way, that at least I'm doing something. ;o)
>> But yes,..it does make it very hard they way printers and cartridges work
>> now.
>> 
>> Again, not trying to point fingers,..just wanted to mention my view on it ;)
>> 
>> Kind Regards
>> Daniel
>> 
>> 
>> On 21/10/10 7:19 PM, "Steven Knowles" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> I like your suggestion David. Sounds sensible to me ... my understanding is
>>> that the manufacturers often lose, maybe break even, on the printer itself
>>> in
>>> cunning anticipation of making fat margins on consumables thereafter. Your
>>> move puts a bullet in that plan! :-)
>>> 
>>> Daniel, after your Epson recommendation I'd probably take a closer look at
>>> Epson, but I'm all out of steam looking at printers - head is spinning. Too
>>> much choice.
>>> 
>>> Marlene, I've had a mind change after taking a look at printers in a couple
>>> of
>>> stores today. I've moved from Canon to HP. I came across an HP Officejet Pro
>>> 8500, and when lifting the lid noticed that the flatbed looked larger than
>>> the
>>> others. It is. The 8500 has a flatbed scanning size which accommodates
>>> foolscap (legal) size paper. For me, that can be pretty handy at times. I
>>> couldn't find any Canon's on display which went beyond the usual A4 size
>>> flatbed. Bear in mind though that even if the flatbed takes only up to A4, I
>>> think scanning via the document feeder allows you to scan longer documents.
>>> My
>>> fear with scanning via the document feeder is that if it's an important or
>>> flimsy document, document feeders tear your original to shreds.
>>> 
>>> The I spotted the newer 8500A. I assumed that must have a few extra features
>>> than the 8500, however the 8500A on display had only an A4 size flatbed. The
>>> Officeworks salesman claimed that that was a difference, and that if I
>>> wanted
>>> the bigger flatbed, I had to run with the older 8500. Coming home I've
>>> checked
>>> the HP web site, and not surprisingly the Officeworks salesman had it wrong.
>>> The 8500A comes in four different models ... the A910a, A910g & A910k (8500A
>>> Plus), and A910n (8500A Premium). Seems what I was looking at was the A910a
>>> because the A910g & A910n has the bigger flatbed. (Click here for other
>>> differences between 8500A models).
>>> 
>>> I came across the Officejet 7500A wide format model as well. Ability to
>>> print
>>> to A3 is nice, but it doesn't provide a duplexing function (ie. double sided
>>> printing & scanning), so that takes eliminates the 7500A for me.
>>> 
>>> So, I'm about to go online and order the 8500A A910g from somewhere.
>>> 
>>> Cheers, Steven
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On 21/10/2010, at 3:47 PM, David Noel wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Hi, I'm not an expert here, but the last time my (inkjet) printer started
>>>> playing up, I got a Canon MP140 Pixma from Officeworks for about $50. It
>>>> was
>>>> one of their cheapest, and may have been a promotion. It's behaved very
>>>> well
>>>> really, the scanning software is pretty intuitive and flexible, there is an
>>>> Omnipage facility for character recognition.
>>>> 
>>>> I do remember a WAMUG member who said when his inkjet printer run out of
>>>> ink,
>>>> he just went and bought another machine, at $50 a pop you can do this!
>>>> Every
>>>> time I have got a new printer, the accompanying software has been a step
>>>> up.
>>>> So that is a possible strategy for you, go and get the cheapest Canon which
>>>> does what you want, and if it plays up, get a new one!
>>>> 
>>>> Cheers --
>>>> 
>>>> David Noel
>>>> 2010 Oct 21
>>>> 
>>>> =====
>>>> 
>>>> On 21 October 2010 12:44, Steven Knowles <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>> Hi Marlene
>>>> 
>>>> I've had a couple of recommendations. Apparently Choice ranked most highly
>>>> the Dell V715w, followed by the Lexmark IntuitionS505. I hadn't even
>>>> thought
>>>> about those brands. I've looked at other reviews of the V715w - seems that
>>>> it's ink-hungry, and there was some mention that Dells aren't Mac
>>>> compatible
>>>> or Mac friendly. Plus I read Dell-branded printers are made by Lexmark. Who
>>>> knows, but too many negative review for me to get comfortable.
>>>> 
>>>> What I've decided to do is run with Canon. Big name, big range,
>>>> Mac-friendly
>>>> I'm told, and generally positive reviews on most models. I don't know what
>>>> model yet, Canon told me Harvey Norman have the largest range on show, so
>>>> I'll drop into Harvey Norman today perhaps to see if I can find something
>>>> which does what I need, including double-sided printing and scanning,
>>>> wireless. Then I'l ring around for the best deal. Harris Technologies has
>>>> always been very competitive. Don't know what it's like these days.
>>>> 
>>>> From what I've read in reviews, the Canon Pixma range ranks highly, so I
>>>> think you're on the right track.
>>>> 
>>>> Cheers, Steven
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> On 21/10/2010, at 12:08 PM, Marlene Oostryck wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> Hi Steven
>>>>> 
>>>>> I'm glad you asked your "dumb" question as I too have been looking at the
>>>>> shops recently with a view to purchasing a Multi-function printer - so I
>>>>> am
>>>>> looking at the responses you get.
>>>>> 
>>>>> There is just such a huge range out there and it is so hard to decide what
>>>>> is right. All the retail "experts" have a different view! - and not many
>>>>> know what works well with Macs.
>>>>> I want my printer mainly for black and white text printing for home use -
>>>>> (photo prints I do at Harvey Norman). I also want to scan and copy. Don't
>>>>> need the fax. I will use usb connection.
>>>>> The main concern is best value for ink useage and the recommendations seem
>>>>> to be - go for a middle range (better value ink cartridges).
>>>>> I know laser printers are better value re ink - but the footprint is too
>>>>> large for my desk - so inkjet is the way I will go.
>>>>> I'm considering a Canon Pixma MP560 - but would love some personal
>>>>> recommendations from WAMUG users.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Office Works have some good deals now, and JB Hi-Fi are offering 50% off
>>>>> ink
>>>>> (limit of 3) with a printer purchase.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Good hunting, Steven!
>>>>> 
>>>>> Regards
>>>>> 
>>>>> Marlene
>>>>> 
>>>>> On 20/10/2010, at 10:32 AM, Steven Knowles wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> At risk of asking a dumb question due to the multitude of options, I need
>>>>>> to grab a (preferably wireless but can hook into TC if not) multifunction
>>>>>> office printer / scanner. Not so bothered about a fax function - who uses
>>>>>> fax these days - but it'll probably have that anyway.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Printing volume will be minimal, so will scanning for that matter, but
>>>>>> just
>>>>>> need one around since my HP Officejet 7210 died.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Interested in views on the best Mac-friendly brand available at the
>>>>>> moment.
>>>>>> Anyone know what Choice recommended in their Multifunction printer
>>>>>> report?
>>>>>> I'll buy it if not.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Cheers, Steven
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
> 

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960
Email: <daniel @ macwizardry . com . au>
Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>


**For everything Macintosh**





-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>