I'm looking carefully at Navigon and will do what you say about Maps.

Thanks Carlo and others.

Stuart Breden
PO Box 132
Kalamunda WA 6926
Ph: (08) 9257 1577
Mbl: 0417 053 266

On 12/06/2011, at 7:32 PM, cm wrote:

Hi Stuart,

That is almost what I was trying to say, perhaps not clearly enough. The Maps application works by finding your location using the GPS (or failing that a cell tower signal or a Wi-Fi signal) and the then downloads the map to display you current location on the map. The problem is when you are out of 3G range, you can still get your location via the GPS, but the Maps application cannot download the map to show you where that location is "on the map".

The work around is to download the maps into the Map application before you leave the 3G coverage area. You can do this in Maps or by using some of the other applications that other members have recommended -- (some of which look excellent with an eye to getting one for myself -- thanks for the suggestions to those involved).

Tom Tom on the other hand, has the maps stored internally included in the purchase price. So to show your position on a map in Tom Tom, all you need is the GPS location (or fix as it is known). Tom Tom will then fetch one of its internal maps and show you your location on the map.

Hope this is clearer.

Cheers,
Carlo

PS: There are still rumours that Apple will revamp its mapping app even though it was not mentioned at the WWDC keynote.