Hi Ash and Ronnie Thanks very much for your reply on this.
Yes Ash, I am using a bar chart, I should have said that, with date on the x-axis and numbers on the y. The dates are pretty much continuous for sept 07, then a gap of two months and then 3 weeks in december and Jan 08 then a big gap until July 23 08 when it is continuous until Sept 1. Excel has filled in the gaps with the missing days and I can get rid of them. Ronnie those links are really good and have a lot of info and tips for excel. I also did another google search and found this link http://www.excelforum.com/excel-charting/771551-horizontal-axis.html which is very good and I found the solution under 'format axis' to change the horizontal axis type to 'Text' not 'Date' or 'Auto'. This then only plots the actual date data from the pivot table, rather than excel calculating a 'date category axis'! Looks like I have a lot to learn!! My previous (and very old version of Office X for mac) had a much easier approach to this. However I think Office 2011 has way more newbies, and I just need to learn them all!! Thanks very much for your time in helping me out Kindest regards Chris On 22/06/2011, at 2:09 PM, Ronda Brown wrote: > > This was what I was looking for ;-) > > Charts: > <http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/excel/category/4cc82111-2d97-4a29-84cb-9f7b75536fa2> > > On 22/06/2011, at 1:58 PM, Ronda Brown wrote: > >> >> Hi Chris, >> >> The below links might help you. >> >> Learning roadmap for Excel 2011: >> <http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/excel/item/859ab45d-74fd-4705-b3ce-fa311ac57b24> >> >> Insert or delete cells, rows, columns, or sheets: >> <http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/excel/item/52edd337-2672-4ba8-a51b-f95974c039fe> >> >> Cheers, >> Ronni >> >> 17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt" >> 2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD >> >> OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard >> Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance) >> >> On 22/06/2011, at 1:01 PM, Chris Burton wrote: >> >>> >>> Hi Muggers >>> >>> Im not sure if it is ok to ask here about a charting problem I have while >>> using Excel 2011, but I would very much appreciate some help if possible? >>> >>> I am preparing some whale sighting data for a conference presentation in >>> few weeks and cant seem to find how I can de-select some dates that are not >>> in the data (Feb 08 to June 08), but are included by excel to make the >>> x-axis series continuous (from sept 07 to sept 08). >>> The data have only been collected from sept 07 to jan 08 and then from July >>> 08 to Sept 08. >>> >>> I have been delving into the axis format using 'Scale' which only allows a >>> max and min value (not to deselect some in between). It does have a number >>> of other abilities to change the major and minor units but this does not >>> solve the problem. >>> >>> Thanks for any help here, even some online links etc >>> >>> Kind regards >>> >>> Chris >>> >>> >>> Christopher L.K. Burton >>> Director >>> Western Whale Research >>> PO Box 1076 >>> Dunsborough WA 6281 >>> Mobile: 0419 199 120 >>> Email: [email protected] >>> >> > > > > > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- > Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> > Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> > Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]> > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>

