Ok, so I'm coming in a bit late on this one,..I meant to reply a while ago,
but just got stuck with work and didn't get back to it,..
So I'm going to add my 2cents worth now,...

Firstly, good post (as per normal Ronni) on getting things ready for Lion
and secondly,
I'm not waiting to sound like a nay-sayer, just wanting to add some thoughts
on it.

So here goes,...

If you're not in a major hurry for Lion,.. Don't Upgrade as soon as it comes
out!
More so if it's your main machine and you're not 100% sure that everything
will run as you want it to do. This can be your Applications, your printers,
your scanners, your iPhone(s), iPad(s) etc,...

If you have a second machine, or an external hard drive then install it on
that. Test it. See how it goes. Check for problems.
Or sit back for a week or two and watch the forums and "Lion sites". See
what updates come up for things you use. See what problems get reported and
fixes for it.

Sure, we all love to jump in and grab the "new stuff" for the "cool new
features". But it's not that great is all we're left with is some great new
cool features,..but our printer drives no longer work in Lion so we can't do
work til it's fixed. Or MYOB that we were running for our day to day
accounts has a "bug" with Lion and it's going to be 2 weeks before a patch
is out for it. Sure,..2 weeks no work. Might sound like fun,..but I'm sure
our bills wouldn't think so,..lol.

I'm not trying to sound all bad, and definitely not saying that bad things
may happen,..it's just a pre warning. If meaning we have to wait a week or
two to ensure that things will work, then to me that seems a lot better in
the long run then jumping in early and finding you're not going to be able
to work fully, or have to spend hours and hours trying to troubleshoot
things just to do your "Day to day stuff".

Plus if we all jump on and download 4GB all at the same time to get Lion,
the internet might die :o) (lol)

The reason I mention some of these is that a few clients I've seen or spoken
to are all looking forward to installing Lion. When I spoke to them about it
a bit more and we looked into their systems and Applications and we went
over things a bit more they hadn't realised that some of the things they
still use were "older applications". Appleworks is a big one for quite a few
clients, as well as some older versions of FileMaker. (Sure they run fine
now under Rosetta under 10.6, but as you don't see Rosetta running you don't
realise). So explaining to them we'd need to check what they use and would
need to either wait or upgrade their software to later versions for what
they need for work. Which was fine for some instances, but not fine for
others. They were happy to wait a bit longer before getting Lion.
I'm not telling them "Don't Upgrade",..I'm just advising them to "wait and
see" a bit longer.

Again, it's not meant to sound harsh, or solely negative, and others may
disagree with what I've said, it's more just a "bit of a warning".

I know I won't be installing it straight away on my main laptop. That's my
workhorse and I want to be 100% sure that I can grab it and take it out to
work and do everything I need on the road without running into issues on
consult jobs or work I'm doing.

That's not to say I won't be installing it on my other machine (MacPro) to
play with it and see. But that way I can ensure things are "just going to
work" once I know I'm ready to upgrade the laptop. And I won't lose
downtime, or worse,..have to wait ages for something to be upgraded (HP
printers always spring to mind when Apple upgrade Operating Systems - not
that I have HP) or a big cash outlay on upgrading software. (I'm pretty sure
everything I have now is fine,..I just prefer to be 100% sure).

I'm sure I had more points I was going to mention,...but I think I've
rambled on long enough,....just wanted to put it out there,....

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully something there may be useful to some.
And if it saves at least one person having massive upgrade issues or massive
work downtime,..then I'm happy :o))

Enjoy! Bring on the Lion!! :o)

Kind regards
Daniel

On 9/6/11 8:39 PM, "Ronda Brown" <ro...@mac.com> wrote:

> On 09/06/2011, at 6:26 PM, Darrel McGuiness wrote:
>

>> Would appreciate help in this preparation if someone knows of a Safe software
>> that can automatically erase the KIND of application files such as Classic
>> and PowerPc.
>> I know Ronni has written her usual knowledgeable and appreciated advice prior
>> to installations of Snow Leopard, but I cannot find them.
>> Living in hope
>> Regards
>> Darrel
>
> Hi Darrel & other members interesting in preparing for Lion OS X 10.7,
>
> Prepare For Lion OS X 10.7
>
> 1. Make sure your Mac can run Lion:
>
> Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon
> processor to run Lion.
> Find out if your current Mac has one of these processors by clicking the Apple
> icon at the top left of your screen, then choosing About This Mac.
>
> 2. Make sure you have the latest version of Snow Leopard.
>
> Get up to date with the latest version of OS X Snow Leopard to purchase OS X
> Lion from the Mac App Store. If you have Snow Leopard, click the Apple icon
> and choose Software Update to install the latest version.
>
> 3. Check your Applications
>
> A) Use System Profiler to check all your Applications. Go to "About This Mac"
> under the Apple Menu, and click the "More Info" button. This will launch
> System Profiler.
>
> Scroll down the list of contents at the left of the window until you get to
> the "Software" section and click on "Applications".
>
> Give the list a few moments to populate, then look for your application in the
> list. Widen the window if necessary until you see the "Kind" column. You can
> sort this column by clicking on the column header to make searching easier.
>
> Any items labelled "Classic" or "PowerPC" will not work with Lion.
> ONLY Universal & Intel will run in Lion OS X 10.7
>
> B) Check all your Applications you might be running and see if they have
> updates.
>
> C) Clean Up your computer. Uninstall old software you no longer use or require
> (if you don¹t have the uninstaller for the application, download & use
> AppZapper (which is not free) <http://www.appzapper.com/> or AppCleaner (free)
> <http://appcleaner.en.softonic.com/mac>
> I prefer using AppZapper to delete any applications.
>
> D) Delete any old files you no longer need.
>
> E) If you use any add-on software such as plug-ins for mail or programs that
> rely on input managers such as 1Password & Google Desktop, make sure you have
> upgraded to Lion-compatible versions before you upgrade.
>
> 4. Download OS X Lion from the Mac App Store.
> When OS X Lion is released in July, open the Mac App Store from your Dock to
> buy and download it.
> Then follow the onscreen instructions to install Lion.
>
> DON¹T FORGET:
> 1. Backup your system BEFORE installing
>
> 2. Repair Permissions before installing
>
> 3. Turn OFF Time Machine in System Preferences

> [...]

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960