Darrel,

I have extensive experience with both Word and Pages.

As an avid MS Word user in the early years of Mac history it was my WP of
choice for many years. Word 5.1 was my favourite tool. MS let it rot a slow
death on the Mac and I changed my alliances. Word that came with office 2004
was just an abysmal port from the PC world that proved very flakey.

I was ecstatic when office 2008 was released and I happily pushed it to its
limits - however it took no time to realise that it fell over with the
slightest push. Many a time it would let go with little warning. I returned to
using Pages which did everything equally well but in a much more friendly and
stable environment. It just did not fall over. Time and again I edited MS Word
documents in Pages because MS Word would not allow me to control or format the
work as well or easily.

I have used every iteration of Pages (4th one now) and have not experienced
instability. It still gives me the same joy that the Mac first offered me over
20 years ago by doing things simply and intuitively and throwing in a few neat
surprises along the way.

I have used Word from Office 2011 but there isn't much to persuade me away from
Pages. The only thing it does better is the way it handles bibliographies and
citations.

My thousands of documents vary from simple single page documents to complex
page layout tomes. However as with all documents I use Save As to perform
version control of documents and also backup my work.

I have not experienced Ronni's large file instability in Pages.

                      Regards,
                      Eugene