Hi Adrian,

Most monitors have a warranty against a certain number of dead pixels within a
certain timeframe but a thin red line does not sound like dead pixels. A dead
pixel is usually the loss of one of the three colours of the red-green-blue
trio (RGB) within a single pixel. The closely related cousin the stuck pixel is
where one of these three colours stays on. A dead pixel, unless there is
systematic damage of some sort, is an isolated point at a random position on
your screen.

There is software around to test screens and show up dead pixels, usually by
flashing colours and black up on the screen and asking you to look for
irregularities. A quick search turned this up but I have not tried it and do
not endorse it in any way:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7669/pixel-tester

If the problem is still there when you run the above software, or similar, it
is likely hardware related and the Apple Store would likely be interested in it
and may repair it for free.

Cheers,
Carlo