Hi Adrian,

Not good news I'm afraid. This is possibly a fault in the LCD screen, this has
been a problem with the older iMacs, and unfortunately for your daughter the
extended service program                ended some time back.

Fault in the LCD screen.
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/imac_faulty_screen/>

A Google search brings up a huge amount of people who have had this problem.

<http://www.google.com.au/search?q=thin+red+line+on+Screen+of+21-inch+iMac%3F&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari>

I hope this is not the cause as it will get worse over time.

Sent from Ronni's iPad