More for the groups sake than yours Laura, I want to repeat that to the best of
my knowledge there is almost zero risk. It won't hurt having your iPhone
plugged in but it is not necessary. The process works is as follows:

1) After clicking the upgrade button the upgrade is downloaded. This upgrade is
what is know as a delta. That is it will be the difference between your current
version and the new version so it is a small as possible.

2) After the download is complete, the upgrade will not proceed unless you have
at least 50% battery life. This actual upgrade is a short process that requires
a few minutes. A 50% full battery has many hours of life so the process will
easily complete.

So even though the download is potentially quite long, it will be allowed to
proceed but the actual upgrade will not occur unless you have much, much,
(much), more battery life than is required for the task.

The maximum penalty for attempting an upgrade with too little battery is that
you will need to download the upgrade delta again. The actual install of the
delta will not proceed.

If there were such a glaring flaw in the upgrade process many millions of the
200 million or so iOS users would be pounding the Genius Bar counters today. :-)

I like you, Peter, have had to recover from a failed upgrade, but that was the
result of a complex mix if iOS betas and provisioning credentials. It can also
happen because of various mistaken Apple ID entries etc.

So just to reiterate, plug in if it makes you feel happy but it is a
requirement only for the download part.

Cheers,
Carlo