Hi Merv,

To create a Bootable external drive for your Power PC you need to format the
drive, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Partition it 'Apple Partition Map’

1. Make sure to copy any files on your external hard disk to another location
because reformatting will erase them.

2. Click on your computer hard disk’s icon.
    Select Applications → Utilities → Disk Utility.

3. In Disk Utility's left hand column, click on the Drive icon of your External
Drive.
    Make sure you click on the first icon, not the second level volume icon.

4. Select the Partition tab.

5. Select the Volume Scheme (& select 2 Partitions);  and Format type from the
Format drop-down menu.
    Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (recommended).

6. Enter the names you want for each of the partitions on the external drive

7. Click on the Options button.

8. Select the type of partition you want to use:
    Apple Partition Map - for bootability on PowerPC-based Macs

9. Click OK.

10. Click the Apply button.

11. Then Click Partition