Hi Merv,

As far as I know, you don't need the firewire port on the drive to be FW400
- FW 800 is backward compatible.

All you need is a FW400 to FW800 cable, depending on the drive you buy it
may even be thrown in.

When FW800 drives first came out, they tended to ship with both fw800 &
fw400 ports (the first I bought was like this) - but then they just started
shipping with fw800 ports and some suppliers threw in both fw800 cables and
fw800 to fw400 cables (that's what I got with my second fw800 drive).

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia

on 3/4/12 10:15 AM, Merv Bond at m...@iinet.net.au wrote:

> Hi Ronni and James
Thank you for your responses and your ten step process
> Ronni. If
possible I will now purchase a HD with a firewire 400
> port.
Regards
Merv