Hi
Being a MYOB user since the early 80's, I was dismayed the other week to find a
problem with the internet re-registering of the program. Every so often (about
4 months I think) the program needs to contact head office via the internet to
prove that it's legal, or alternatively I believe you can telephone to do it.
I was doing my bit with the accounts of a social/service club when the program
decided that the re-registration was not approved, and I had to phone MYOB to
sort things out. This was (at the time) impossible, let alone inconvenient,
even later having to track down receipts, code numbers etc. when not expecting
to have to do so again. Then going through the process of telephoning MYOB,
going through many and various voice prompts and finally waiting to talk to a
real person.
He did fix the problem immediately with full apologies, something to do with
the introduction of Lion he said, and would probably happen once more in four
months time (I think)
I know it's not the fault of the person on the line, but he is my only contact!
I told him that I wasn't satisfied with the situation. If they had a problem
with the re-registration then it was their problem, not mine, and should have
made it open slather to all in sundry until they fixed their problem. Not
inconvenience every one their own customers. I told him that by the time I next
had to register via telephone call I would probably have transferred my
accounting program.
As it was, I was already playing around with another accounting program and I
am now in full change mode.
The fact that for reasons beyond your own control, you can lose access to a
program that you have purchased, let alone the data you have produced, is just
not good enough.
I will make sure that any other programs I buy will NOT be continuing
registration ones.
Regards
Peter
p.s. I always buy the programs that I use! But having had my fingers burnt on a
few occasions, like to trial first. Any program I look at has this facility
available.

That's my rant anyway!