Hi Alan,

This is the way I have exported audio from iMovie clips to AIFF format and then
use iTunes to convert the AIFF format to MP3

To export only audio in iMovie'11:

If you need to export just the audio of your project, iMovie allows you to
export only the audio as an AIFF file.
How to export the audio of your iMovie 11 project to AIFF form.
        1.      At the very top of the screen there is a Share tab, this the
exporting tab of iMovie. Click Share and select Export Using Quicktime.

        2.      This will bring up a new window. In this window you will choose
where to save your project and how to save it.

        3.      Click the Export tab

        4.      Now select Sound as AIFF as the export setting.

        5.      Then click the Where tab and choose Desktop

        6.      Click Save to begin exporting.

        7.      This will bring up a new “Exporting project…” window.

        8.      Once that window disappears your project is now saved to the
desktop solely as an AIFF sound file.

Add the AIFF file to iTunes
To convert a song's file format:

1.Open iTunes Preferences.
2. Click the General button, then click the Importing Settings button in the
second section of the window.
3. From the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the encoding format that you want
to convert the song to (in this case MP3), then click OK to save the settings.
4. Select the AIFF file in your library, then from the Advanced menu, choose
'Create MP3 version' (The menu item changes to show what's selected in your
Importing preferences):