Hi Alan,

I forgot to mention that as soon as Mountain Lion starts up the first time,
Spotlight begins indexing (or re-indexing) all the files on all mounted
volumes. This process can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours,
depending on how many files you have and the speed of your CPU and disk. During
this time, you may notice a lot of disk activity (along with, perhaps, somewhat
slower overall performance).
If you click Spotlight’s magnifying glass icon on the right side of your menu
bar during indexing,  a drop-down list displays an estimate of the time
remaining for each volume.