I sent two disks, one was 4.1 specifically for Leopard and one was 4.2 
specifically for Snow Leopard.  
Severin Crisp

On 18/01/2013, at 9:15 AM, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> 
> I believe that DiskWarrior 4.2 is for Snow Leopard.
> You will need DiskWarrior 4.1 for Leopard.
> 
> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
> 
> On 18/01/2013, at 9:01 AM, Peter Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Ok, so my Dad kindly sent me Disc Warrior (for Leopard and Snow Leopard) and 
>> I put it in and did a restart whilst holding "c". The DVD drive spun 
>> indicating it was booting from the DW disc. I left it all night last night 
>> and this morning still grey screen but with Apple icon and the spinning 
>> spinner thing.
>> 
>> I will eject this disc and try with the OS disc to see if that gets anywhere.
>> 
>> I think it's cactus.
>> 
>> Regards
>> 
>> Pete
>> 
>> On 13/01/2013, at 4:26 PM, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> Hi Peter & Susan,
>>> 
>>> I'm having a break from WAMUG.... but in this instance... I felt I should 
>>> contribute.
>>> 
>>> On startup a Circle/Slash (Prohibitory Sign) means your Mac can’t find a 
>>> valid Startup Disk.  
>>> 
>>> This can indicate a corrupt installation of Mac OS X or a failed (or 
>>> failing) hard drive.
>>> 
>>> A pass through the excellent DiskWarrior utility is highly recommended for 
>>> any disk-related startup problems.                                         
>>> You can also try Apple Disk Utility (booted from the installation disc as 
>>> Susan has already mentioned), or another third-party utility like TechTool 
>>> Pro or Drive Genius to try to repair the disk.
>>> 
>>> If the drive is OK after repairs but the Mac still won’t boot, do an 
>>> Archive & Install of Mac OS X (Snow Leopard) to replace the operating 
>>> system. 
>>> 
>>> If Mountain Lion:  Reinstall Mountain Lion
>>> 
>>> Restart your Mac holding the cmd+r keys.
>>> 
>>> When Mountain Lion installs it creates a special small, hidden Recovery 
>>> Volume on your hard drive.                                                  
>>>     Booting cmd-r will boot your Mac into that Recovery Volume.
>>> <http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/>
>>> 
>>> The screen should give you these choices...
>>> 
>>> Restore from TM backup
>>> Reinstall Mac OS X
>>> Get help online
>>> Disk Utility
>>> 
>>> Choose Reinstall OS X. This will be an install in place and won't affect 
>>> any of your own data.
>>> 
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ronni back to her break from WAMUG
>>> 
>>> On 13/01/2013, at 4:04 PM, Susan Hastings <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Hi Peter, I did a quick google and found this question and answer which 
>>>> solved someone's problem. If your son has the original install disk he 
>>>> should boot up in from the install disk, by holding down "c" when starting 
>>>> up. He can then run disk utility on his hard drive to check for problems 
>>>> as a first step. Also, we need to know which operating system he is 
>>>> running.
>>>> 
>>>> http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/271143-macbook-pro-wont-boot-up-no-recovery-disk.html
>>>> Regards, Susan
>>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>> 
>>>> On 13/01/2013, at 12:59 PM, Peter Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> My 12 yo's MacBook has refused to boot up after shutting down in the 
>>>>> normal way a few nights ago.
>>>>> 
>>>>> I am remote so trying to resolve this remotely from him is a bit 
>>>>> challenging. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> I did a quick google and it suggested to try boot up in Safe mode. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> He tried this but screen stays on the grey screen with a circle with a 
>>>>> diagonal slash through it the whole time. I left overnight thinking it 
>>>>> might be processing but to no avail.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Are there a series of steps to go through to maybe work this out?
>>>>> 
>>>>> We have full backup on Time Capsule to restore content if it turns ugly.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Any tips appreciated.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Regards
>>>>> 
>>>>> Pete
>>> 
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL: 
>>> http://lists.wamug.org.au/pipermail/wamug.org.au-wamug/attachments/20130113/fb9c2d53/attachment.htm
>>>  
>>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.wamug.org.au/pipermail/wamug.org.au-wamug/attachments/20130118/67049fba/attachment.htm
>  
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

____________________________________________________

             Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
                  ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                           mail to: [email protected]
____________________________________________________



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
http://lists.wamug.org.au/pipermail/wamug.org.au-wamug/attachments/20130118/49c7f04a/attachment.htm
 
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>